September 20-22, 2018
Central Idaho Whitebark Pine: High, Dry and Burned
Latest in whitebark pine science and management- exciting presentations and poster session (contact Laura Lowrey, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Field trip to discuss wildfire impacts and restoration partnerships
Silent auction and basket raffle (contact Dana Perkins, dperkins@ruralnetwork.
net; Glenda Scott, glenda.scott @whitebarkfound.org; or Liz Davy, email@example.com to donate items)
Networking, whitebark swag, and fun!!!
Come learn, discuss and see examples of impacts by wildfires and mountain pine beetle and what managers are doing about them in Stanley, Idaho.
Thursday (9/20) will be an exciting day of presentations on current and developing research and management at the Stanley Community Center (register early- seating limited). Followed by a fun-filled evening of networking and silent auction at the newly remodeled Mountain Village Bar/Restaurant.
Friday (9/21) is a field trip to Galena Summit and Rainbow Creek Project Area. This is a management focused trip. Come learn about the approaches Sawtooth and SNRA staff have available to them to manage whitebark pine.
Saturday (9/22) is a field trip to Basin Butte Lookout. Discussions will include Fire and Lookout History, Regen sampling, Blister Rust ID, Plus Tree Program in R4, cooperating and coordinating efforts in R4.
Available at Mountain Village Resort, and at other hotels and nearby campgrounds.
- Mountain Village Resort (208-774-3661): You must make a reservation by phone and request the “whitebark pine meeting” room block to access an available room.
- Stanley Chamber of Commerce camping information: https://stanleycc.org/Sleep/Camping
Other Stanley Lodging Options
- Redfish Lodge: https://redfishlake.com 208-774-3536, The owners of Redfish recently bought some other lodges in Stanley; it would be good to inquire about what they have in town in addition to what is available at the lake.
- Sawtooth Hotel, https://sawtoothhotel.com 208-774-2459
- Lower Stanley Country Store, Cabins and Motel 208-774-3566
- Valley Creek Lodge, 208-774-3606
- Mountain Village Resort, http://www.mountainvillage.com
/lodging/, 208-774-3661, 800-843-5475
- Smiley Creek Lodge (25 miles from Stanley), http://smileycreeklodge.com/lo
Other Nearby Lodging Options
Challis Chamber of Commerce http://challischamber.com/lodg
Lodging sites are available at this web site.
Challis is 60 miles from Stanley, less expensive lodging rates, but an hour and fifteen minute drive. Check out the Challis Hot Springs and the Bed Breakfasts in old Challis.
Also, Ketchum is 60 miles from Stanley and there are lots of lodging options there. the Tamarack Lodge used to honor government rates 208-726-3344
Hosted by the USDA Forest Service Forest Health Protection, Boise Field Office & the Northern Rockies Fire Science Network in conjunction with the Whitebark Pine Ecosystem Foundation.
Download WPEF 2018 Conference Flier *Updated*